The main objective of Deafblind South Africa is to break the isola-tion that surrounds Deafblind people. Because deafblindness can be considered a communica-tion disability, many Deafblind people live in isolation and they are very often unable to utilize services that might be available to other people.
Deafblind South Africa sees its role as a lobbying organisation to promote better services for Deaf-blind people and also to be the mouthpiece of Deafblind people in South Africa.
- Lobbying Forum for parents – Deafblind South Africa would like to provide parents with the opportunity to come together and to lobby together with adult Deafblind people for better education for their children.
- Role Models for children – We believe that adult Deaf-blind people can serve as role models for Deafblind children in order to show them what Deafblind people can achieve.
- To conduct public education and awareness in line with the UN CRPD.
- Strategic Partnerships – Form partnerships with other organisations.
- Correct Diagnosis – It is vitally important that a correct diagnosis be made as early as possible in order to assure the correct provision of services for deafblind children.
- Early Intervention – If early intervention services are not available, it may lead to the Deafblind child not developing properly.
- More capable Education units – Urgent attention should be given to the establishment of units for the education of Deafblind children in all the provinces of South Africa.
- Identification of Deafblind people – identifying Deafblind children and in ensuring that Deafblind children receive adequate education.
- Referential service– It is vital to refer clients to the correct service provider for specific needs of each individual.